St. Brendan’s N.S., Rathcoole is a co-educational primary school operating under the aegis of the Department of Education and Skills and the patronage of the Catholic Bishop of Kerry.
2013 marked the 160th anniversary of our rural school which is situated in the village of Rathcoole between Millstreet and Banteer in North-West Co. Cork.
We currently have 4 mainstream Class Teachers and 3 Learning Support/Resource Teachers serving a total enrolment of 97 pupils from Junior Infants to 6th class.
Contact us: Tel.no. 029-58410
In 2008, the school underwent a major extension and refurbishment under the DES Small Schools’ Devolved grant scheme. This added two modern classrooms and a very large General Purpose hall, which added greatly to the facilities in St. Brendan’s N.S.
The full National Curriculum is provided. In support of this curricular programme the school currently offers:
- Music – Whole class Tin Whistle, and individual Keyboard, Violin, Accordion & Guitar lessons provided by the County Cork School of Music.
- Swimming – lessons for all pupils from 1st – 6th class provided by qualified instructors at Mallow Swimming Pool.
- Field Trips – A wide variety of educational outings including Theatre, Orchestral Concerts, Art Galleries, Museums, Scientific/Environmental/Historical/Geographical Field Trips and visits to Outdoor Activity Centres.
- Local Heritage Studies – 3rd – 6th class pupils research local history and enter projects for the Cork Schools’ Local History Competition.
St. Brendan’s has a strong commitment to care of the human and natural environment, and thus emphasises:
- Environmental Awareness – regularly featuring among the prizewinners in the Sherkin Island Environmental Competition. Currently hold Green Flags for Litter, Energy and working towards our Water flag.
- Recycling – providing facilities for the recycling of School Paper, Cardboard & Plastic waste; Clothing, Mobile Phones, Aluminium cans, Printer cartridges and Batteries; along with the composting of organic waste.
- Gardening – an organic school garden tended by pupils which produces annual crops of radish, lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, peas, beans, courgettes, pumpkin, corn, cabbage, okra etc.
- Health Promotion – in the first cohort of North Cork schools to be presented with the Health Promoting School Award, we emphasise Mindfulness, Friendship and making Healthy Choices.
- Saving – supporting the Kanturk Credit Union saving scheme, encouraging financial responsibility among pupils.
- Sport – entering teams for Local and County Athletics, Boy’s and Girl’s Rural Schools GAA, & Basketball Blitz.
- Community Involvement – participating successfully in local Scór, Feiseanna, Christmas Pageants and Concerts, Community Games, Quizzes, Art & Handwriting competitions.
- Altruism – supporting National and International charities through student-centred initiatives.
We have an active Parents Association who generously assist and support the work of the school.
The current Board of Management members are listed here.