St. Brendan’s N.S.
Nuachtlitir Samhradh 2013
Fáilte chuig eagrán an tsamhraidh d’ár nuachtlitir.
Triumphant year in St.Brendan’s N.S.
The year began with the memorable 160th Anniversary celebrations in October. It continued with Duhallow, County and All-Ireland honours for our story tellers, dancers, singers, musicians and quiz teams –in Scór and Community Games. Our girls became Rural schools’ Camogie Champions and we were awarded our first Green Schools’ Flag.
The 2012/2013 school year ends with great sense of pride in our achievements and with gratitude for all the help and hard work which made all this possible. To the whole school community – Board of Management, Staff, Parents and Pupils – we say thank you for your support and co-operation. It is very much appreciated. Go méadaí Dia do stór.
Dates for your Diary:
- School closes on Wednesday, 26th June @ 12.30 p.m.
- School re-opens in September on Monday, 2nd @ 9.20 a.m.
- Our school blog can be found @ stbrendansrathcoole.scoilnet.ie/blog/ Booklists and school policies are available on the blog
- School uniforms can be collected from MFS Millstreet before 3.00 p.m. each day. Ring 029- 71288 to check that your order is in.
Green Schools’ News
On Thursday June 20th, we were thrilled and so proud to hoist our first Green Flag for our work on the theme of “Litter and Waste”. A big Thank You to all who helped achieve this flag – Our Green Schools Committee, The Staff of our school past and present, The Board of Management, Our Parents Association, our parents and especially our hard working and interested pupils. We reduced the litter and waste produced in school by recycling and composting as much waste as possible and we had our motto:
“Put the Litter in the Bin, That is the way to Win”.
In St. Brendan’s N.S. we have always been aware of Environmental Issues, we have a marvellous tradition of recycling and our school gardens have produced a wide variety of fruit and vegetables, long may this work and interest continue. Thanks also to Neil O’Leary (Pupil) and Áine Collins TD, (Past Pupil and Parent) who honoured us by hoisting our first Green Flag and to the Aroma Café who presented us with a delicious cake to celebrate the occasion.
- Used stamps (please 3cm of envelope attached) can be handed into the office at any time. We send them to the Missions once a year.
- We have raised much needed funds through our Clothing/Mobile Phone Collections. The collection on 31st May raised € 224.20. Thank you.
- Thanks to everyone who supported the 22q11 Fundraiser. The magnificent response raised €5,813
- Thank you to everyone who supported the Ice-Cream party on Tuesday 11th June for Down Syndrome Ireland. €405 was raised through your generosity.
- Thanks to John Linehan, John Callaghan and John Twomey for bringing (and taking away) chairs for all our big occasions this year. We are grateful to the Community Hall for the loan of the chairs and also for a donation of €200 for participation in the Parish Concert in March.
- The Bookfair raised €902 worth of books for our school libraries. We celebrated World Book Day in style in 7th March when pupils came to school dressed as their favourite character. Photos of the occasion featured in the Corkman.
Thanks to everyone who took part in our Sponsored Walk on Sunday 19th May 2013.Thanks also to those who donated prizes. The amount raised was €1,449.59 .The proceeds help to subsidise activities like Music, Athletics, Swimming, visiting shows etc.
This year the Parents’ Association kindly purchased a replacement projector for the Interactive whiteboard in 1st and 2nd class. It cost €416.94. We are very grateful to Clement Carroll, Jason & Ryan’s dad, who sourced and installed the projector for us.
The Parents’ Association also donated sports equipment and Typing software to the school. Go raibh maith agaibh.
First Communion & Confirmation 2013
Bishop Bill Murphy confirmed the pupils of 5th & 6th class in a spiritually uplifting ceremony on 23rd April in Derrinagree Church. Fabulous music and singing was provided by the 5th &6th class Confirmation pupils and the 3rd and 4th class choir who came along to help. Our school’s musicians were accompanied by Siobhán Buckley on the harp and Lisa Murphy on the acoustic guitar.
First Communion Ceremony was celebrated by Father Comer in St.John’s Church Dromagh on 11th May 2013. It was a very moving occasion and our 2nd class looked splendid in their Communion finery and performed perfectly. Our school choir were in fine voice, accompanied by our school musicians and Gerard O’Hanlon on his violin. Thanks also to our past pupils who came to sing in the choir. It was great to see (and hear) you again.
Sherkin Competition www.sherkinmarine.ie
Congratulations to Matt Murphy,SherkinIslandwho was recently awarded the Cork Mayor’s Community Award 2013 for his work on the Environment at Sherkin Marine Station.
The theme for the Sherkin project competition this year is “Protecting Our Environment”.
Pupils have been researching their projects and have been filmed making a presentation to their classmates. These have been stored on the school network and form an audio-visual archive of their work. All completed projects must be handed in by Wednesday 26th June for transportation toCork.
The Senior school tour to Castlegregory gave 5th & 6th the chance to surf the Atlantic waves and enjoy watersports in the bay.
The Junior Tour to Liscarroll Donkey Sanctuary was enjoyed by all and now the school has adopted a donkey called Lorcan. We wish Lorcan a speedy recovery as he is in theDonkeyHospital.
Congratulations and well done to all who represented us with great success in Swimming, Football, Basketball, Camogie, Hurling and Athletics. The following are our most recent successes.
Well done to all our footballers who competed in the Girls’ and Boys’ Blitz in Knocknagree and Banteer.
Thanks to Tim Murphy for coaching Football & Hurling from 1st – 4th Class.
Congratulations to our Camogie team who defeated BanteerN.S.in an exciting final in Rathcoole on Wednesday 12th June. Well done to:
Nora O’Sullivan, Martina O’Donoghue, Rafaela Tavares
Mary Buckley, Michelle Murphy Clery, Anna Buckley
Leah Murphy, Heather O’Connor, Aoife Buckley
Comhghairdeas Cailíní. Maith sibh!
41 Pupils attended the Cork Sports in Páirc Uí Chaoimh on 22nd May.
9 prizes were brought home. The winners were:
Jenny Kelleher Conor O’Callaghan Taragh Casey
Grace Singleton Sarah Morris Murray Una Healy
Olivia Carter Sarah Linehan
Special congratulations to Olivia Carter who advanced to compete in the CountyFinal. The Athletes proudly wore our new sports t-shirts which were generously sponsored by a family in our school community. Míle buíochas.
Well done to all the participants in Millstreet Sports on Monday 24th June. The winners were:
Mark Casey Mary Buckley Emma Lehane Seán Linehan
Jason Carroll Martina O’Donoghue Olivia Carter Donnacha Murphy
David Sheehan Hannah Carter Jamie Kelleher Jack Hanover
Conor O’Callaghan Sarah Linehan David O’Riordan Taragh Casey
Grace Singleton, Tomás Cronin, Louis Hanover, Adam McGroary, Patrick Buckley,
Charlie Hanover, Emily Morris-Murray
The Swimming Gala in Mallow Pool on the 31st May was a very competitive event. 23 the highest number of pupils yet – was selected by the coaches to compete. Congratulations to Donnacha Murphy who was placed 2nd in the Backstroke and Louis Hanover who was awarded 4th in the Breaststroke. All pupils from 1st to 6th had the opportunity to complete 8 swimming sessions this year. Special thanks to parents, David Hanover and Jim O’Sullivan for swimming supervision.
- Congratulations to our participants in local feiseanna and GAA Scór competitions
- Music group: Anna Buckley, Aoife Buckley, Leah Murphy, Nora O’Sullivan and Darragh Twomey are Scór na bPáistí 2013 County Final Winners. They were asked to play at the interval in Páirc Uí Chaoimh which was televised. They also advanced to the All-Ireland finals of the Community Games bringing great honour to the school. Well done to all concerned and to their mentor Siobhan Buckley.
- Leah Murphy and Darragh Kelleher competed with great success in Solo singing.
- Congratulations to Diarmuid Cronin, Duhallow Champion in storytelling, and our scéalaíocht representative in the County Semi finals of Scór na bPáistí 2013 in Coachford. .
- Set Dancers : Mary Buckley, Anna Buckley, Aoife Buckley, Michelle Murphy Clery, Leah Murphy, Martina O’Donoghue, Nora O’Sullivan, Rafaela Tavares
- Our Solo Dancers won many cups and medals: Well done Heather O’Connor, Cathy Byrnes & Grace Singleton.
- Congratulation to all our prizewinners in Kilcorney & Cullen Feiseanna and Millstreet Féile Ceoil.
- Mary Buckley 3rd prize in the GAA Essay competition.
- Best of luck to Aoife Buckley, Anna Buckley, Leah Murphy, Darragh Kelleher and Darragh Twomey who have qualified for the Munster Fleadh Cheoil in Limerick on Saturday, 20th July.
Father Liam Comer celebrated our End of Year Graduation Mass on Thursday 20th June in the school hall. Dónal McCarthy, Chairman of the Board of Management, presented graduation certificates. Shane Buckley gave a gift to Ms. Kathryn Fahy, sixth class teacher, on behalf of the graduating class. Mrs.Susan O’Connor, Principal, was delighted to accept a pair of Killarney Crystal candlesticks on behalf of the school. This thoughtful gift will grace the altar at all our masses in the future and remind us of the excellent members of the Class of 2013. Go raibh maith agaibh.
A slideshow, compiled by Ms.Fahy, entertained invited guests to 8 years of photographs of the fun and wide variety of activities undertaken by the Class of 2013. Each pupil received a Yearbook, the slideshow CD, a special achievement award and a personalised cup-cake. An array of delicious refreshments was provided by our parents to complete a perfect day of celebration.
The St.Brendan’s N.S. Community sincerely wish Slán agus Beannacht to our Sixth class students who leave us to go onto Millstreet and KanturkSecondary schools. Go n-éirí go geal libh sa toghchaí.
Aoife Buckley Cian Linehan Thomas Cremin
Mary Buckley Conor O’Callaghan Nora O’Sullivan
Shane Buckley Seán O’Donoghue David Sheehan
Hannah Carter Martina O’Donoghue Rafaela Tavares
Michelle Murphy Clery Declan O’Donoghue Jack Ducey
Slán agus Beannacht also to the Senior family, Ben & Ally who are going to live in Australia.