St. Brendan’s N.S.
Parents’ Association Newsletter
Welcome to the Summer edition of this newsletter produced by the Parents’ Association of St. Brendan’s National School, Rathcoole.
- Sherkin Projects must be handed in on or before Monday June 27th. The theme this year is “What is Important to Me in the Environment”.
As you are aware, a vote was held recently regarding a change to the school uniform. The proposal to change the uniform was carried. Thank-you to all who voted. Tracksuit bottoms are to worn for PE (Tuesday) only.
The new uniform will be worn from the start of the 2011/2012 school year.
The new uniform consists of:
- Navy Sweatshirt with school crest (available at MFS Millstreet)
- Light blue Polo Shirt
- Navy Trousers/Skirt
- Plain navy Tracksuit Bottoms with blue polo shirt and navy sweatshirt for PE.
Thank-you to all the parents and children who purchased books at the school book fair. As you know, the more books that are sold, the more Free Books the school receives. This year the school will get books for the school library to the value of €902
Tom O’Sullivan from the Cork County School of Music examined all pupils from 1st to 6th class in instruments ranging from tin whistle to violin, keyboard and concertina. He also listened to a performance from Junior and senior infants. He expressed his delight with the standard in the school.
At the March meeting of the Board of Management it was proposed to hold a sponsored walk/fund raiser in the new school year, as a joint venture with the Parents’ Association. These funds will then be used to subsidise/pay for extra-curricular activities during the year. This model will spread the burden and the parents will get some benefits too.
Well Done to the boys from 4th, 5th and 6th class who took part in the Hurling Blitz held in Dromtarriffe GAA pitch in Rathcoole. The team members were;
Shane Buckley Dean Condon Seán Cremin Alex Dennehy
Mark Dennehy Ian Dunlea Jack McAuliffe
Seán O’Donoghue Gavin O’Keeffe David Sheehan
Well Done to the girls from 3rd, 4th and 6th class who took part in the Camogie Blitz held in Dromtarriffe GAA pitch in Rathcoole. The team members were;
Anna Buckley Aoife Buckley Aisling Dennehy Leah Murphy
Martina O’ Donoghue Nora O’ Sullivan Alana Twomey
Well Done to the boys and girls from 4th, 5th and 6th class who qualified to represent the school in the Swimming Gala held in Mallow Swimming Pool on Friday 3rd June. The results were as follows:
Jamie Brophy (3rd place) Brendan Callaghan (5th place) Hannah Carter (3rd place)
Dean Condon (3rd place) Seán Cremin (4th place) Aisling Dennehy (4th place)
Michelle Hurley (2nd place) Laura O’Dwyer (3rd place) Gavin O’Keeffe (5th place).
Boys Relay – Gavin O’Keeffe, Alex Dennehy, Kieran Dennehy, Gerard O’Hanlon (4th place).
Girls Relay – Michelle Lehane, Michelle Hurley, Lisa Linehan, Aisling Dennehy (2nd place).
The Football Blitz in Mallow which was organised by Donnacha O’Connor (Ballydesmond and Cork County Player) was a great success. The school team, consisting of boys and girls from 3rd and 4th class did very well, winning their matches.
The Parents’ Association would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation Donnacha O’Connor for giving his time to instil a love of sport in the children. A healthy attitude to taking part in sport enhances the overall education received in school.
- The Parents’ Association would like to thank everyone who gave generously to our Church Gate Collection. We would especially like to thank those parents who gave their time to stand at the collection points. The collection raised €864.06
- The Parents’ Association were approached by the fund-raising committee of Glantane NS who need to raise 50% of the cost of their school extension. We gave them a donation of €100 as a gesture of good will and in recognition that some parents from Glantane bought bricks and / or tickets for the Glen Theatre when our extension was built.
Congratulations to the following students for non-academic achievements:
- Kilcorney Feis
Cathy Byrnes (Senior Infants) and Grace Singleton (Junior Infants) won medals for dancing.
- Cullen Feis
Medals in Music, poetry and running were won by Anna Buckley (3rd class) Patrick Buckley(1st class), Carolyn Buckley (Junior Infants), Diarmuid Cronin (2nd class), Tomás Cronin, (Senior Infants) Heather O’Connor (2nd class) and Ben Senior (1st class). Well done !
Dates for your Diary
- Swimming for pupils from 1st to 6th class, in Mallow pool will finish on Tuesday June 21st.
- Millstreet Sports will take place on Thursday June 23rd.
- School Mass will take place on Friday June 24th (See Below).
- The closing date for entries in the Sherkin Project is Monday 27th June.
- Second Hand Book Swap will be held on Monday 27th June (See Below).
- School closes for the Summer holidays on Tuesday June 28th at 12.30pm.
- School reopens on Thursday 1st September 2011.
A Mass will be celebrated in the School Hall at 11.15 a.m. on Friday June 24th to celebrate the end of a very successful school year. The pupils in sixth class will organise and participate in the liturgy to mark the end of their eight years in St. Brendan’s N.S. All parents are welcome to attend this Mass.
Second Hand Book Swap
The Parents’ Association will hold a Second Hand Book Swap in the School Hall on Monday 27th June at 11.15am. Parents (or older pupils) are invited to bring any books which they have for sale and to purchase books for the new school year. The Parents’ Association will act as facilitators. The individuals buying and selling books will agree a price and conduct the financial transactions themselves. We hope that this will help to reduce the cost for everyone. We would like to thank the staff of the school for the use of the school hall and for issuing the booklists before term ends.
- 3rd and 4th class enjoyed a class trip to Thomond Park on Friday May 20th. This trip was a prize won by Cian Lenihan (4th class).
- 5th and 6th class enjoyed a very successful school tour to Ballyhass Lakes.
- Infants to 4th class had a very active and exciting day at the Junior and Senior School Tours at Millstreet Country Park.
Miss Lucey will finish her temporary post at the end of June. We would like to thank her for her work with 3rd and 4th class and with the wider school community. Miss Lucey took a very active role in taking students to GAA matches and the Swimming Gala. We wish her well in her future career.
As we come to the end of the school year, we say good-bye to 17 pupils who are about to leave their primary school education behind and embark on the next step of their journey in life. We also bid farewell to Laura O’Dwyer who is transferring to Lyre N.S. We wish them all well for the future.
The class of 2011 are:
Mairead Coakley Dean Condon Jennifer Corcoran Seán Cremin
Aisling Dennehy Alex Dennehy Kieran Dennehy
Mark Dennehy Ian Dunlea Lisa Linehan Jack McAuliffe
Aisling O’Donoghue Gerard O’Hanlon Gavin O’Keeffe
Martin O’Riordan Cathal Singleton Alana Twomey
We would like to welcome the following pupils who recently enrolled in St Brendan’s;
Aaron Cotter (3rd class) Eric Cotter (1st class) Kieran Cotter (2nd class)
Leo Chylinski (3rd class) Cara Lartey (5th class) Eva Lartey (Senior Infants).
Thirteen children enrolled for Junior Infants on Welcome Day. They are;
Eliezer Ammundala Ian Brophy Rachel Cotter Ellen Cronin
Anthony Fogarty Luke Kelleher Olivia Lehane Charleen McGroary
Cerys McMullen Aideen Morris Murray Shane O’Riordan Ally Senior
- Daniel Heaney will be joining 1st class in September.