St. Brendan’s N.S.
Parents’ Association Newsletter
Welcome to the Spring edition of this newsletter produced by the Parents’ Association of
St. Brendan’s National School, Rathcoole.
Dates for your Diary
- Pupils from 5th and 6th class will receive the Sacrament of Confirmation on Tuesday 29th of March at 11am in Derrinagree Church.
- Swimming for pupils from 1st to 6th will take place in Mallow pool on Tuesdays April
5 th and 12 th, May 3 rd, 10 th, 11 th, 24 th, 31st and June 7 th, 14 th, 21st.
- Pupils from 2nd class will receive the Sacrament of Penance on Tuesday 12th of April at 7.30pm in Dromagh Church.
- Seachtain na Gaeilge 5-17 Márta. Déan gach iarracht an cúpla focail a labhairt le bhúr bpáistí. (Irish LanguageWeek takes place from March 5th to 17th. Please make every effort to speak a few words of Irish with your children).
The Parents’ Association would like to take this opportunity to welcome Miss Lisa Lucey who is the new teacher for 3rd and 4th class.
The Parents’ Association will hold a church gate collection at all Masses in the parish this weekend. Thanks to all parents who volunteered to help out. Your support would be appreciated. Mass times this week are:
Saturday 5th March Derrinagree 7.30pm
Sunday 6th March Derrinagree 9.30am
Sunday 6th March Dromagh 11.00pm
- Congratulations to all who represented the school so well in Scór na bPáistí which took place on Friday February 18th,
- Anna Buckley, Aoife Buckley and Leah Murphy represented us in solo music & singing.
- Cathy Byrnes in solo dancing.
- Gavin O’Keeffe, Ian Dunlea and Mark Dennehy who took part in the quiz and came third
(Best of luck to Aoife Buckley (4th class) and Cathy Byrnes (Senior Infants) who will compete in the Duhallow Final on 5th March).
- Congratulations to Brendan Callaghan and Thomas Cremin (4th class) who both took part in the Cub Scout County Quiz on January 29th. Brendan’s team finished in 1stplace and now go on to the regional rounds. Thomas’s team finished 4th. Well done.
- Well done to our 2 Quiz Teams who took part in the Credit Union Quiz in Kanturk
(Jennifer Corcoran, Mark Dennehy, Alex Dennehy and Cathal Singleton)
(Sean Cremin, Gavin O’Keeffe, Aisling Dennehy and Ellen Sheehan who came 4th)
- Congratulations to Áine Collins, a past pupil of St. Brendan’s N.S. (aunt of Jenny Collins in 2nd class) on her recent election to Dáil Éireann.
Calling all Dads
We need some fathers to volunteer to travel to Mallow Swimming Pool and supervise in the boys’ changing room. All volunteers must be willing to undergo a Garda Vetting process. If anyone is interested in one or more Tuesdays (see dates above) please contact Mrs. O’Connor at the school.
- We would like to thank Noel Crowley from the GAA County Board who is teaching hurling skills to all pupils from 1st to 6th on Tuesdays.
- Thanks to Tim O’Connor who gave Athletics Classes and to Shane Murphy who trained the pupils in soccer, games and badminton as part of his work experience. We wish Shane well with his studies in C.I.T.
Deepest sympathy is extended to Donal McCarthy, Chairman of the Board of Management, on the untimely death of his sister Anne.