Failte chuig eagrán an earraigh d’ár nuachtlitir.
Welcome to the spring edition of our newsletter.
Dates for your Diary:
• Please support our Scór competitors in Freemount Community Hall on this Saturday night, 9th February at 7.30. Good luck to all who are participating in music, singing, set dancing, recitation and quiz.
• Mass for Confirmation candidates will be held on 23rd February in Dromagh Church @ 7.30 p.m.
• Fundraising Disco in Wallis Arms on Friday, 8th March for 22q11 Ireland. For tickets or more information
contact: Trish Drake: 086-6077372 or Mary Condon: 087-3107597
• Retreat in Nano Nagle Centre for 5th & 6th classes on Tuesday 12th March –sponsored by the Parish.
• First Penance Ceremony in Dromagh on Thursday, 14th March @ 7.30 p.m.
• Meeting for parents of Confirmation children in School Hall on 20th March @ 8.00 p.m.
• Cake Sale: Thursday, 21st March in the School Hall.
• Easter Holidays: School closes on Friday 22nd March and re-opens on Monday 8th April.
• Staff meeting: Friday 19th April @ 2.00 p.m.
• Confirmation: Tuesday, 23rd April @ 11.00 a.m. in Derinagree Church.
• First Communion will be held in Dromagh Church on Saturday, 11th May @ 10.30 a.m.
• Infant Welcome Day for pupils beginning in September 2013 on Friday, 24th May.
Enrolment Application Forms available from Carol 029- 58410
Green Schools’ News
Dr. Mary Stack Environmental Awareness Officer, Cork County Council visited St. Brendan’s N.S. on Tuesday, January 29th 2013. She was very interested in all our work and the progress being made in relation to the Green Schools’ theme of Litter and Waste. She met with our Green Schools’ Committee and also spoke to the children and staff.
Our Window Boxes which were planted in October by the pupils and parents add a dash of colour at this time of year. We are delighted to see the Crocuses & Snowdrops finally peeping out amongst the primroses, heathers and pansies. We await the arrival of the spiky Rip Van Winkle daffodils.
• Cans – The Green Dragon can collection came to €38.00. Many thanks for your contributions, please continue to save and bring in to the school.
• Used stamps (please 3cm of envelope attached) can be handed into the office at any time. We send them to the Missions once a year.
• The next Clothes Collection by Lenrec will be on Friday, 1st March. Our last collection in November made €259.50 for school funds.
• Batteries are still being collected in the school, please continue to bring and place in the recycling tin near the Green Schools’ Notice Board
• 1st – 4th classes are receiving coaching in Football and Hurling from the Duhallow Board – coach Tim Murphy.
• Thanks to Maura Dunlea, Valerie Hanover, Breeda Kelleher and Linda Linehan for their continued Badminton Coaching.
• Basketball News: Congratulations to the 5th & 6th class teams who won all their matches at the Neptune Stadium on Thursday, 7th February.
• Athletics classes will be held from 7th March – 9th May (Thursdays). The Parents’ Association are subsidising part of the cost of this activity.
• Girls’ Football Blitz – 10th April
• Boys’ Football Blitz – 17th April
• Swimming: 8 lessons in Mallow Swimming Pool for 1st – 6th classes beginning 30th April. More information to follow
• Cork Sports: Wednesday, 22nd May 2013 – The organising committee ask us to sell raffle tickets to finance the sports. Please support.
St. Bridgid’s Day
We celebrated Catholic Schools’ Week from 28th January to the 1st February. The week concluded with a beautiful prayer service, at which the children displayed their St. Bridgid’s crosses.
• Teachers from Scoil Mhuire Secondary School Kanturk spoke to the 6th class about second level school choices and 5th & 6th classes attended an Open Day in Scoil Mhuire on Wednesday, 30th January.
• Ms. Aisling O’Brien (Mrs. O’Brien-Sheehan’s sister) spoke to 1st – 6th class pupils about life in Beijing.
• Kanturk Credit Union Art Competition: Congratulations to our winners Carolyn Buckley, Mary Kate Drake McPartlan, & Martina O’Donoghue
• Christmas Cards: Congratulations to our Parents’ Association and to our pupils for their very successful initiative in producing beautifully designed Christmas cards.
• Sherkin Competition: Congratulations to all our 49 winners who won many prizes and to Tomás Cronin who won the Dr. Michael Kennedy Award for his project on the Pike.
• IBM prize winner: Rathcoole N.S. has recently benefited from IBM’s commitment to the innovative use of technology in education when they received a “Young Explorer Computer Centre” through the IBM KidSmart Early Learning Programme.The IBM KidSmart donation consists of a colourful and durable Little Tikes desk and bench, a multimedia PC, educational software and a digital camera all to the value of €2,000.
• Public Speaking – 27th November: Aoife Buckley, Mary Buckley, Declan O’Donoghue, and Nora O’Sullivan represented the school at the James O’Keeffe Institute, Newmarket. The topic was “Should Social Networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter be age-restricted”. They put in a lot of work and preparation and represented us brilliantly. Maith sibh.
• Quiz winners: Well done to Cian Linehan, Declan O’Donoghue, Seán O’Donoghue and Nora O’Sullivan who came 1st in the Juvenile GAA Quiz.
Aoife Buckley, Declan O’Donoghue, Martina O’Donoghue and Nora O’Sullivan came 2nd in Cullen Juvenile GAA Quiz.
Diarmuid Cronin, Michelle Murphy-Clery, Declan O’Donoghue and Nora O’Sullivan, and came 3rd in the Credit Union Quiz . Ar fheabhas!
• Congratulations to our talented storytellers Aoife Buckley, Jack Ducey, Emma Lehane Leah Murphy, David Sheehan, Rafaela Tavares and Darragh Twomey whose creative Halloween writings appeared in the Corkman.
• Congratulations to Mary Buckley whose Christmas Card design won the Senior Section of the Corkman Competition.
• A massive Míle Buíochas to everyone who helped to make the 160th Anniversary Celebrations such a great success. A more detailed account of the day is on our School Blog @ stbrendansrathcoole.scoilnet.ie/blog/
• Thanks to all who participated in the Carol Singing, organised by the Parents’ Association at Super Valu. €530 was raised for school funds. Thanks also to Super Valu for providing the venue and the very welcome refreshments.